Game On! Connecting Video Games and Virtual Worlds to Instruction
Session SLURL – http://slurl.com/secondlife/Pender%20County%20Schools/64/131/26
Prenter Contact Information:
Lucas Gillispie, M.S. Instructional Technology
Instructional Technology Coordinator, Pender County Schools
Email: lucas “at” edurealms.com
On Twitter: PCSTech
On Skype: lucas.gillispie
In Second Life: Newton Apogee
In World of Warcraft: Golyn (Cenarion Circle Server) or Pantego (Cenarion Circle) or Erud (Sisters of Elune Server)
Resources for Students to Make Their Own Games:
Jeff Ertzberger’s MS Office Game Templates -templates that allow you to make game-like activities with Microsoft Office.
YoYo Games’ Game Maker -allows creation of your own games. (free)
Scratch -visual programming environment. (free)
Squeak -visual programming environment. (free)
Alice -scripting environment that allows creation of 3D objects and behaviors. (free)
RPG Maker -allows creation of classic RPG-style games. (free to try, $60 to buy)
Teen Second Life-virtual world based on Second Life. No adults allowed except as part of education-oriented project. For example, see Peggy Sheehy’s Ramapo Islands. (free for basic account, islands for projects cost money)
Atmosphir – build 3D platform-type games. (still in Beta, free)
Reaction Grid – Second Life clone designed for business and education only. PG-13 content rating limit. About $300 annually for an island for education projects.
Cognitive Dissonance Guild – a World of Warcraft guild for educators and game researchers. A great place to learn the game.
- Don’t Bother Me Mom I’m Learning – Mark Prensky
- Got Game: How the Gamer Generation Is Reshaping Business Forever – John C. Beck and Mitchell Wade
- What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy – James Paul Gee
- Playing To Learn: Video Games In The Classroom – David Hutchison (has lesson ideas revolving around video games)
Dimension-M, by Tabula Digita, is a first-person shooter format, 3D, video game designed to teach pre-Algebra and Algebra skills in both a single player and a multi-player format all while immersing the player in a rich storyline.
A flyer from Tabula Digita is available at: http://www.dimensionm.com/sales/APFlyer(GEN-linked)-2-3-09-vEMAIL.pdf
- WoWinSchool Project – the wiki site for the World of Warcraft in School Project.
- Constance Steinkhueler – Pop Cosmopolitanism – Constance’s site where you can find out about her research using World of Warcraft with students.
- Cognitive Dissonance Guild – a World of Warcraft guild for educators and game researchers. A great place to learn the game.
- Video Game Statistics – http://www.theesa.com/
- Digital Natives
- Educating the Net Generation (free e-book): http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/pub7101.pdf
- Julie Evans presents – Tomorrow’s Students: Are We Ready for the New 21st-Century Learners? (Podcast) – http://connect-cdn.educause.edu/files/gbayne_tomorrowsstudents.mp3
“…through online gaming there are “deep relationships” with students (paraphrased).”
- A Vision of Students Today (YouTube Video) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o&feature=related
- Shift Happns (YouTube Video) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnWKg9B2-8&feature=related
- Virtual Worlds
- Virtual Worlds Review – http://www.virtualworldsreview.com/
- “7 Things You Should Know About Virtual Worlds” http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7015.pdf
- A Sample MMO – Warhammer Online – http://www.warhammeronline.com
- World of Warcraft – 11.5 million subscribers worldwide! – http://www.worldofwarcraft.com
- Second Life – Free! – http://www.secondlife.com
- Suffern Middle School in Second Life – http://ramapoislands.edublogs.org/
- RezEd – http://www.rezed.org/
SLURL’s (Second Life URL’s – These will launch Second Life, if installed, and take you to the location specified)
- Pender County Schools Island
- ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education)
- Education Island
- Science Fridays (live talks every Friday, part of SciLands)
- SpacePort Alpha (also part of SciLands)
- Discovery Educator Network