A variety of researchers briefly explained their research in and around the game, World of Warcraft. Afterwards, we broke to mingle with the researchers to get a better idea of their research. There were some interesting discussions:
- Academics are no longer simply researching the games externally, but now immersing themselves in it. There has possibly been a “chaging of the guard” due to the fact that many researchers today have grown up playing video games.
- Social capital is important.
- When explaining research results, there are sometimes problems resulting from an audiences lack of experience or knowledge of games like MMOs. Find analogs to help explain to non-gamers!
- Quest logs are learning management systems!
- A video explaining MMOs ground up and targeted to teachers or academics who’ve had no experience with MMOs is needed.