Well, the dust has finally settled. I’ve wrapped up my graduate studies (Woot!) and have completed my thesis. The middle school students and staff I worked with in my study were absolutely awesome. The kids never ceased to amaze me at how they approached the game’s challenges and how quickly they adapt to the first-person game environment. I’m also very excited that this study has served as a catalyst for advancing other game-oriented instruction in my district. As of this posting at least three other schools are looking into Dimension-M as a tool for math instruction and remediation and other teachers/administrators are warming to the idea of using games for instruction. I love my job!
Oh yeah… Here’s the link to the thesis. It’s also linked on the right of the site.
I took my last thesis revision and put it into Wordle. It creates a very interesting representation and gives you a good idea what was studied. Have you heard of Wordle? Wordle analyzes any text that you copy and paste or a website with RSS feed to produce a representation of the words used. Words used more frequently are larger. You can then select your colors, fonts, and the orientation of the words.
To date, I haven’t spent a great deal of time discussing my thesis research, because it has been an ever-changing work in progress. Without anything “final” I didn’t want to throw anything out into the blogosphere. However, I’m very close to finalizing it and will be sharing my work here soon.
To provide some background, I used Tabula Digita’s Dimension-M game with middle school students to see the game’s impact on their mathematics achievement and attitude. In addition, I wanted to see if gender played any role in the outcomes.
Though the group I was working with was small and the period of the study was short, the results were very interesting. I’ll be sharing those results here once the thesis is finalized!